Elk Rock Meadow, above the Blue Ridge Parkway, looking south
Elk Rock Meadow consists of a large meadow and hardwood forest. The 16 lots vary in size from 2.28 acres to 8.96 acres. Each lot is also different based on its proximity to the state road or its location back in the forest just above the Blue Ridge Parkway. These high quality properties are ideal for year-round living or second homes.
Located in an ideal spot, Elk Rock Meadow is between mileposts 1 and 2 and overlooks the Rockfish Valley to the east and the Shenandoah Valley to the west. With elevations between 2,100 and 2,566 feet, Elk Rock Meadow is completely surrounded by green space in all directions. To the east are the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Appalachian Trail. To the north are the Shenandoah National Park and the Skyline Drive and to the west and south the Swannanoa Golf Course and the George Washington National Forest.
Internet & TV
- High speed internet – You have access to speeds from 25 mbps to 1 gigabit ($30-$80/mo).
- TV – There is satellite TV available from DirecTV or digital TV service via Lumos Network.
- Underground fiber optic – This is already in place and brought to the house at no cost to the home owner.
- Additional information – Contact Lumos Network directly to answer your questions.
CC&R's and HOA
- Commitment by developers – Because this is a special location with great views, the developers are committed to making this a unique community for dedicated home owners.
- Home Owners Association (HOA) – The HOA was established by developers and is managed by the lot owners to protect their properties.
- Protect property owners – Each homeowner is expected to comply with the Conditions, Covenants, and Restrictions (CC&R’s). A copy of the disclosure package, which includes the CC&Rs, HOA agreement, ARB form, and supplemental rules regarding construction and landscaping, may be requested from the realtor.
Access to Elk Rock Meadow
- Interstate 64 at the top of Afton Mountain (map) – Take Exit 99 off Interstate 64 onto Route 250 and drive under the interstate. Turn right onto Route 610 toward the entrance to Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive.
- Two-mile drive – Take either of the routes below:
- Drive two miles on Howardsville Turnpike (Route 610) to the entrance of Elk Rock Meadow on your left.
- Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway south to just past milepost 2 and turn right at Elk Mountain Road and again right immediately onto Howardsville Turnpike. The entrance to Elk Rock Meadow is ½ mile on your right.
- Company provider – Dominion Energy is based in Richmond, VA and serves 7.5M customers.
- Appearance and safety – To preserve the property views and increase safety, all cables for the entire development are underground.
- Connection – Dominion Energy has committed to provide permanent underground power to each lot.
Architecture Review Board (ARB)
- Required review – The CC&R’s and HOA require working with the Architectural Review Board (ARB) to insure the quality of the house and the development.
- Review fee – Prior to any house construction or tree removal, the potential owner must file a Request for ARB Approval and pay the review fee.
Services of Home Owners Association (HOA)
- Snow removal – As part of the HOA dues, the private road will be snow plowed in a timely manner.
- Hiking Trails – Private access along a community easement leads directly to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Specifications for Well and Septic
- High standards – For the benefit and safety of homeowners, the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) has high standards for well and septic systems.
- Preapproved – All lots have been preapproved for wells and septic systems.
- Gooch Engineering – The developer contracted with Gooch Engineering from Charlottesville to conduct a soil study for the entire development. As required by the Virginia Department of Health (VDH), the engineer identified well sites and drain fields for each of the lots.
- For each lot – There is 5-8 page report with a map showing the recommended location of the well site and the primary and reserve drain field sites for a four bedroom house. A buyer interested in a specific lot may obtain an electronic copy of soil study for that lot from the realtor.
- Prices – The lot prices have been set to reflect the added cost for existing wells and the appropriate septic system.
- Gallons per minute – The wells dug in 2018 and 2019 all provided in excess of the 3 gallons per minute of water required.
- No monthly fee – As a result of having your own well, you never pay a monthly fee for water.
- Recovery of costs – It may take a half dozen years to cover the cost of a well after which you have water at a minimal cost.
- Department of health requirement – Each house requires a septic tank and drain field.
- Recovery of costs – Your own septic system is a one-time cost. A homeowner relying on a public sewage system incurs ongoing monthly costs for the entire time they own that house.